Sunday, May 5, 2013

Half Marathon Day

Yesterday was the day- Half Marathon Day! I am not a very good exerciser, so I pay for events like half marathons to motivate myself. Back in January I was feeling pretty gross after spending all of October, November, and December eating nonstop treats. I figured signing up was a sure was to get up off the couch. Honestly, I was not as dedicated at my training as I should have been, but overall I was feeling pretty good and was feeling excited and anxious as race day approached. 

My friend Jessica signed up with me and I was so glad because we had to meet at 5 am to take a bus to the starting line. The race ran down Provo Canyon, starting up at South Fork Park. When we got up to the park, it was still dark and freezing! We waited for about an hour and a half in port-o-potty lines and by bonfires to keep warm. It was SO COLD and I was so glad to not be by myself.

Here we are waiting. I had a towel and was so glad I brought it to keep me warm(er). 

 David was a great cheerleader. He cheered me on at mile 6, then mile 8 (when he brought me my second pair of running shoes to change into) and of course at the finish line. 

 I was so glad to be done!

I finished at 1 hour and 55 minutes, which I was excited about. I know that's not anything fast, but I felt pretty good with those 8:40 splits. The finish line was a party, which included Magleby's french toast, fruit, Blendtec smoothies, free massages, fun booths everywhere, and even an Oxygen station:


They claim that this helps the muscles to repair quicker and open up the lungs, but I'm not really sure if it helps all that much. My thighs are pretty sore today and my knees are really achy (not that this would have helped). Makes for a good picture though! 


No comments:

Post a Comment